วันอาทิตย์ที่ 26 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2553

Writing a Great Book Proposal - Part One

When I prepared to write a great book proposal, the first step I took was to write a book proposal that would pique a publisher's interest. My book proposal consisted of 9 parts. In order to limit this article to the requested length of 500 words, I'll focus on the first, second, and third parts:

The Proposal Proper

Annotated Chapter Outline

The Market

The Proposal Proper

In the Proposal Proper, I give a general idea of what I am going to write about:

Biographies blending with history.

Introduction to the three protagonists in the book.

Then I explain why my book will make a unique contribution to a market already flooded with books and manuscripts about China.

The three protagonists in my book actually played their parts in the central political events of their day. The historical details provided are unknown in the West, or even in China. New details shed new light on events. Therefore I write from a special vantage point and fill quite a few gaps in the history of one of the most vital periods of modern China.

Annotated Chapter Outline

The Annotated Chapter Outline offers me an opportunity to demonstrate my control over the material, my ability to organize it, and my writing style.

To begin with, each chapter title should promise a reader that I'll lead him to a place where he has never been to, and where he'll meet fascinating characters he has never known.

I cite some chapter titles as an example.

I end each chapter summary with a titillating hint about the next.

When a reader finishes reading the outline, he will have a bird's eye view of a vast mosaic of historical events and human behaviors.

The Market

A publisher wants to buy a salable manuscript and makes a profit, so it is important for me to provide the information.

This book, I believe, has a broad appeal.

Here is why.




Yuan-tsung was born in China, and immigrated to USA in 1972. Her first book, THE DRAGON'S VILLAGE, (was published by Pantheon, and) its Penguin paperback sells an average of 3,000 copies per year since 1981. Her latest book (nonfiction), RETURN TO THE MIDDLE KINGDOM, is now available through the Union Square Press of Sterling Publishing. For more information, please visit http://www.yuantsungchen.com

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น